One of the brands in the surf industry that resonates for decades is Channel Islands Surfboards. Renowned for their innovative and original surfboard designs, the company's tenure coupled with the fact that it is owned and founded by one of the world's greatest shapers enable them to continually produce boards for all ages, skill levels and specifications. The brand is also considered the go-to of pros and amateurs not just for surfboards, but for apparel, gear and accessories as well. Get Channel Islands boards and other surf accessories like leashes and tail pads right here at Yakwax! All with our superb FREE UK delivery service.
Many surfboard companies exist today because of their continuous evolution. This is made possible by adapting to the specific needs of surfers especially those who are up and coming, and currently active as professionals. The biggest mistake would be sticking with age-old approach that does not match the requirements of the surfer, whilst trying to push forward a tradition that is already considered obsolete. This is why Channel Islands continue to evolve, innovate and exist for over 40 years in the industry.
Founded in 1969 by one of the world's best shapers, Al Merrick, and his brother Terry, Channel Islands started as a small local business in Santa Barbara, California, with a beachside board shaping factory. Over the years, the business grew from a local grassroots operation to an innovative organisation providing boards and gear to the world's greatest surfers.
Today, Channel Islands surfboards are designed, tested and manufactured in their state-of-the-art facility near Rincon Del Mar. They are privately owned and operated, with focus on the most advanced designs that provide surfers the highest level of performance.
Just looking at the list of their team riders, anyone who will visit their website will be amazed at the names of icons and soon-to-be icons of modern surfing. They come from all around the globe and they travel and compete with the best of the best in the industry using the latest Channel Islands surfboards.
Team riders include Dane Reynolds, Jordy Smith, Lakey Peterson, Nat Young, Kai Otton, Adriano de Souza, Bobby Martinez, Alex Gray, Yadin Nicol, Wade Goodall, Conner Coffin, Sebastian Zietz, Bianca Buitendag, Tanner Gudauskas, Dane Gudauskas, Pat Gudauskas, Sage Erickson, Dillon Perillo, Nikki Van Dijk, Kamalei Alexander, Kanoa Igarashi, Kiron Jabour, Masatoshi Ohno, Bethany Hamilton, Jesse Billauer, Marc Lacomare, Ezekiel Lau, Lisa Anderson, Timmy Curran, Rosy Hodge, Frank Harrer, Miguel Tudela and many others.
There are plenty of options when it comes to surfboards, which is why many beginner surfers find it challenging to choose what's best for them. In the case of Channel Islands, they have an extensive range of designs and models for standard surfboards, shortboards, longboards and paddle boards.
Aside from the brand's website-based surfboard selector which you can use to filter boards based on categories, you might find the following factors useful in finding the perfect board for yourself:
• Level of experience - Basically, there are three levels of surfing expertise in which you can use to gauge your own skill such as novice, intermediate and advanced.
• Your body weight definitely affects the type of model of surfboard you'd choose.
• Probably the biggest factor is the kind of waves you will be surfing the most on that board. Some boards are made for tiny weak gutless surf and other for huge powerful waves. No one board will excel in every condition which is why it’s so beneficial as a surfer to build up a quiver for specific conditions.
• Style/Design - Channel Islands have great design and style to choose from. Each board is specifically made with precision and quality in mind.
• Model - Many of the boards they offer are signature models of some of the best surfers in their team. Standard and customised boards are also available.
• Colour - Boards come as standard white but can be customised to your specification on colours and artwork so you can get exactly what you want.
• Usage - You will find boards that are specifically made for recreational sessions and for professional competitions. The latter are more technical and often designed for high level performance.
The great thing about Channel Islands surfboards, gear and accessories is the quality. You can be sure you're getting the best boards and other surf products that are destined to last for years.
Shop for Channel Islands surfboards, apparel, surf accessories and more, right here at Yakwax! All UK orders come with our killer FREE UK delivery service.